Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Love those nuts and bolts

** As of 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, I've got one sports agate page**
I got an e-mail this morning from someone who sort of dismissed herself as a nuts-and-bolts designer. That got me thinking about the importance of those nuts and bolts. You wouldn't take off down the road in a car without 'em. So let's take a look at some of those nuts and bolts of design.
My first newspaper job was putting together the sports agate page at the Northwest Florida Daily News. I absolutely loved it and devoted nights to making sure it was perfect. Everything lined up, all the tabs in the standings straight as an arrow ... just anal as could be. I even did the cutting and pasting myself some nights. And this was before pagination. This was glue and strips of paper and razor blades and proof after proof to see if tab measurements were aligned. (I'd say "back in the day," but I hate that phrase.)
So let's see your sports agate page. Please try to send me a jpg over the next couple days and I'll post them later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment